Re: This thing we called GNUstep (Re: Kickstarter was not successful...

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: This thing we called GNUstep (Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 14:33:30 +0000

Hi Pirmin,

On Fri Dec 20 2013 at 10:18:05 PM, Pirmin Braun <pb@intars.de> wrote:
do we need another GUI?
Since 30 years thousands of programmers try to build graphical desktop environments. Probably billions of dollars were spent. Now we've seen Chromium, Ajax, Android, OS/2, GEM, Windows 3.11/95/XP/7/8/8.1 GNOME, KDE, Xfce, LXDE, Enlightenment, Unity, Cinnamon, MATE, NeXTSTEP, MOS.. just to name some. Most of them suck. Very few of them are popular. Maybe this is a task too big for mankind. Maybe the whole concept with this one-dot pointing device is wrong. What will GNUstep with no budget and only a dozen programmers do different to bring up the final, long awaited holy grail of ultimate graphical desktop environment?
We are trying quite some years now. What makes you hope the big break through will happen next year? And even if it would happen, will any user of a popular UI dump it in favour of GNUstep?

NeXT is gone, and OS X is available only on Apple hardware, but coding user interfaces with Objective-C is more joyful than with anything else I have tried.

Having a way to write applications the way I want to write them, but target platforms that my users want to use, is good. Having a nice environment for me to write the applications in (and seeing my applications nicely integrate in this environment) is also good.

There is no need for "yet another user interface". There is a need for a free software implementation of a GUI that can be conveniently be targeted using Objective-C. Not because end user will notice, but because the developer will, and the developer will more easily spew out nice apps that the user does care about.