windows font size / UI resizing

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: windows font size / UI resizing
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 14:44:53 +0200

Hi,

I have a report from a user that he has troubles with UI elements and window sizes and generally the display looks strange in some text areas.
I attach the screenshot.

I think what happens is:
1) the user has selected in his windows preference to have "larger" text in is UI, so windows tries to resize
2) gnustep tries to partially adapt to this:
  • Menu items, text fields look taller, exactly as buttons and other elements (one can see that also the images are scaled)
  • The fonts actually "drawn" is however small
  • UI elements get enlarged but the window size constraints are not, so the lgin window gets clipped

I see two escape ways:
1) pursue the road of ignoring this window setting: let's not resize anything
2) If we honour this setting instead, we need to draw the correct enlarged font and also when enlarging UI elements the constraints (like window max height / width) need to be scaled as well

perhaps the 2) is the most promising in the outlook of being a better windows citizen (and perhaps other desktops too) but right now I notice constraints and fonts because they represent a bug in this app, but who knows to light when these two are fixed.

Riccardo