Re: Is there any way to use ARC in 32-bit?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Is there any way to use ARC in 32-bit?
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 07:02:21 +0000

On 31 Jan 2015, at 20:22, Wolfgang Lux <wolfgang.lux@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Am 31.01.2015 um 16:08 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> David Chisnall wrote:
>>> Aside from GNUstep itself, there are very few projects using autoconf and
>>> GNUstep Make and for GNUstep the autoconf code does a load of redundant
>>> work, takes longer to run than the entire build, and doesn't properly
>>> inject itself into the generated dependency graph, so you end up having to
>>> gmake distclean periodically to get it to work, and when it does rerun
>>> itself it forgets all of the configuration options and you end up with a
>>> broken build.
>> yes, that is a bug in gnustep.make. configure caches its option in
>> "config.status".
>> So, if configure changes, one should run:
>> ./config.status --recheck && ./config.status
>>
>> since gnustep make is broken, I have grown that command in muscular memory
>> and retype it before make tries to.
>
> FWIW, gnustep-make isn't broken. In fact gnustep-make Makefiles do not have
> anything built into them to rebuild their makefiles when configure has
> changed. The problem is that the makefiles of gnustep-base, gnustep-gui and
> gnustep-back are broken. The Makefile from gnustep-make itself, by the way,
> is okay. It will execute exactly the sequence mentioned above when configure
> was updated.

I found a comment at one of those places saying that 'configure' was used
because a reconfig was mostly done when someone had done 'make distclean' (so
config.status didn't exist).  It seemed to me that, while that is quite
reasonable, we could (rather than assuming the worst) check to see whether
config.status exists and do one form of reconfig if it does, the other if it
doesn't.
I changed those core packages to do that.