Re: [ANNOUNCE] FisicaLab 0.3.5 release

From: Germán Arias
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] FisicaLab 0.3.5 release
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 21:51:00 -0600

El sáb, 30-05-2015 a las 22:44 +0200, Fred Kiefer escribió:
> Congratulation for releasing another version of FisicaLab and this time
> with video documentation. This will make it easier to start off using
> this software.

Thanks.

> I tried myself and already failed at using the configure script. There
> you have an explicit path name for GNUstep gui and of course it is
> installed in a different place for me. Your code reads like this:
>
>    GUI_VERSION=`grep --recursive --no-filename
> GSBundleShortVersionString
> /usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/gnustep-gui/Versions/`
>
> This hardcodes a specific file system layout. You could work around this
> by using two calls to gnustep-config:
>
> gnustep-config --installation-domain-for=gnustep-gui
>
> gnustep-config --variable=GNUSTEP_XXX_LIBRARY
>
> Replacing XXX with the result of the first call. But all of this
> wouldn't help either. In my case plenty of different version of gui are
> installed in that directory
>
> ls /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/gnustep-gui/Versions/
> 0.17  0.19  0.21  0.23  0.24
>
> And it seems unclear which of these your configuration code would choose.
>
> I think you would be a lot better of by dropping this configuration
> check and adding something in your source code that checks the values of
> GNUSTEP_GUI_MAJOR_VERSION and GNUSTEP_GUI_MINOR_VERSION and prints out
> an error or a warning:
>
> #if GNUSTEP_GUI_MAJOR_VERSION == 0 && GNUSTEP_GUI_MINOR_VERSION < 23
> #error "fisicalab requires at least gnustep-gui 0.23.0."
> #endif
>
> The good thing is that FisicaLab compiles correctly anyway,regardless of
> that failed test in the configure file. Perhaps removing it is really
> the best solution.
>
> Fred

I added this so long ago that I had forgotten. Now I remember that I did
not find an easy way to know the version of GNUstep. I did it because
some people compiled FisicaLab well, but this did not work as they used
old GNUstep packages. The strange thing is that I had no problem in
Windows, and there I use the default layout. But thanks for the
feedback, I will post a patch to correct this.

Germán