Re: Debian and Ubuntu packages - 2015/06/03

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Debian and Ubuntu packages - 2015/06/03
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 00:32:13 +0200

Hi,

Svetlana A. Tkachenko wrote:
If the people on this list find clang-ish GNUstep an ok idea, then I agree that
a move in this direction is desirable. Maybe not to the Debian list but to the
current maintainers of these packages (such as Yavor mentioned in the last
message).

All the software I maintain tries to be compiler neutral, I personally test and build more on gcc.

I think the choice should not be of this mailing list, but of debian: it should use the best maintained and supported compiler for them.

As Philippe wrote: packaging is a non-rewarding, terrible job. Debian Packages are already quite debatable due to packaging choices that were imposed (the way they are split up and packaged, for example). Making things even more difficult because of a compiler switch would be unwise.

The best would be of course if code could co-operate, since at one point certain applications will require clang: people write code for its features. What then?

Riccardo