Re: Update libobjc2 build instructions for Ubuntu/Android/Darling?

From: Josh Freeman
Subject: Re: Update libobjc2 build instructions for Ubuntu/Android/Darling?
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 14:13:58 -0400

Hi David,

Sorry, my mistake - I mixed up two different libobjc2 issues I'd had, only one of which was a libobjc2 build problem (old version from svn didn't build because it doesn't have your fix for clang versions with missing CMake modules).

You're correct - libobjc2 (from github) builds fine as a standalone; The statement below should've read, "... issues building *GNUstep* unless GNUstep make is built [before libobjc2]".

The issue with building libobjc2 before GNUstep make (on Ubuntu at least) is that libobjc2's install path depends on whether gnustep- config is present: If it is, it installs to /usr/GNUstep/Local/ Library/ - if not, it installs to /usr/local/lib/.

GNUstep make's configure won't find libobjc2 in /usr/local/lib/; It'll still successfully configure ("checking for custom shared objc library... NONE"), build, & install, but then when trying to build GNUstep base, its configure will fail the "checking whether objc really works..." test because no runtime was found.

So, GNUstep make's first (pre-libobjc2) install puts gnustep- config in place so that libobjc2 will install in a location where GNUstep make's second, post-libobjc2 install can find & use it as the runtime.

Cheers,

Josh