Re: GNUStep pre-compiled SD Card

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUStep pre-compiled SD Card
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 22:07:02 +0000

> On 3 Nov 2015, at 22:58, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
>
> Hi Guys!
>
> Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>> Riccardo has an older Raspberry Pi and is not sure about preparing stuff on
>> an SD card, but I have ordered a Raspberry Pi 2, which should be delivered
>> today, and be waiting for me when I get home tomorrow.
>> Obviously it will take me a while to familiarise myself with it, but with
>> Riccardo’s help, I’d expect to be able to build GNUstep for it by the end of
>> the week.
>> So you don’t need to contact him directly (unless you wish to of course),
>> and you don’t need to do anything yourself, though you may want to
>> browsewww.gnustep.org  and alsowww.nongnu.org/gap/  (a collection of apps
>> which aren’t part of the gnustep project, but are written for gnustep)
>
> I have the orignal raspberry Pi and GNUstep runs quite wll on it. I don't
> know how the situation with the new one is, but mine could be ordered with a
> SD Card which auto-installed the operating system of choice (at first boot it
> had some sort of chooser).
> I don't know if just "cloning" my card would be a good idea, especially since
> your hardware is different.
> The operating system I have is Raspbian, a special port of Debian, what do
> you have?
>
> Let me note what I did for current GNUstep, it might help you and Richard.
> I installed GCC and all the basic required dependencies (libxml, ffi, graphic
> libraries for gui like jpg, gif, tiff, png, cairo)
>
> make configure:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/GNUstep --with-layout=gnustep
>
> (for a total NeXT/Mac experience, make prefix=/ )
>
> base configure:
> ./configure --disable-icu
>
> (perhaps ICU was available, I just wanted a smaller system and we do
> reasonably well without)
>
> gui configure: no additional parameters
> back configure: no additional parameters
>
> That is just enough... I built GWorkspace, Ink & Terminal without any
> problems and they appear to run. I will do further experiments the coming
> weeks.

That’s almost exactly what I did with my new Raspberry Pi 2 today.
Like you, I disabled icu, though I built with the fhs filesystem layout rather
than the traditional one.
I built and ran GWorkspace and Gorm
I also tried installing the rasspbian package for the WindowMaker mindow
manager which, while not GNUstep, does at least provide a consistent look.
Unfortunately it seems to draw icons incorrectly on my display, so may not be
worth bothering with.

There’s a screenshot (GWorkspace and Gorm, suing the default window manager,
not wmaker) at https://plus.google.com/communities/102254155337478651472