Re: Please, no GitHub

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: Please, no GitHub
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 02:50:05 -0800

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 12:48 AM, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@computer.org> wrote:

> Am 13.12.2015 um 07:51 schrieb Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>:
>
>> Our investigators reported that there are operations in the site that
>> require running nonfree JS code.  I got a list, but don't remember it.
>
> Ah, now I understand why you are so actively discussing this here.
> Because that is on your radar screen for much longer time than for
> us.
>
>>> They exposed **every single** site functionality through the API
>>> (in fact, the Web interface itself uses the API to do its
>>> business, so it is safe to say that https://github.com/ is no more
>>> than one of the several available front-ends for
>>> https://api.github.com/) so https://api.github.com/ is satisfying
>>> this criteria.
>>
>> The issue we are concerned with is the site _as users normally access it_.
>> Non-user interfaces, such as APIs, are a different issue which isn't
>> the issue here.
>
> Well, I read this list and write this answer with a non-free mail client.
> So I conclude by the same pattern that I should stop reading and
> contributing to the list.

This is a completely different issue unless you start encrypting your
emails with a proprietary encryption algorithm or something and
encouraging others to use non-free software to read the emails on the
list, nobody would appreciate that.  OTOH if you choose to browse a
free software website with a non-free browser that is your choice.