Re: Theming icons : questions

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Theming icons : questions
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 23:32:13 +0100

Hi Bertrand,

Bertrand Dekoninck ha scritto:

To be able to fully use the Tango theme, you need both current SVN for
gui and GWorkspace, since I fixed the code to make certain icons
themable. But I haven't worked on all of them.

- How should I name these icons ? I've tried for now to reproduce the
naming used in the Tango theme : I've created an
"org.gnustep.GWorkspace/Recycler" folder in my tree and I've put the
Recycler Icon in it. Should I create as well an
"org.gnustep.FSNode.HardDisk" folder with the HardDisk.tiff icon inside ?

You shouldn't make subdirectories, that's not how the Tango theme was done.

For the naming, see below.
Maybe there is some confusion here. What I'm talking is the icon for mounted drives. There isn't any "HardDrive.tiff" in ..../GNUstep/Images where common system images are. There is one in FSNode.framework which is used by GWorkspace.

I didn't attempt to theme that yet, but I changed the code for that icon (butperhaps not for many others) on Fred's suggestion to make it work. I didn't break it, but I don't know if it helps.

How do you check the icon? By mounting a device? Ar eyou runing GWorkspace SVN head, aren't you?

I've tried to theme this icon using the prefix org.gnustep.FSNode. It fails. My question was : is "org.gnustep.FSNode" the right name for the folder where the icon would live in the theme ?

I don't understand how you decided to name these folders in Tango, for instance "org.gap.Terminal" or "org.gnustep.GWorkspace.Recycler"...

These are the Bundle identifiers for the Application or Framework. You can look it up inside the plist. It is often not used in GS apps, so setting is the first step for making the app Theme aware and you should be able to chenge the app icon.

In it, I can theme SystemPreferences as you did in Tango.theme. I have themed GWorkspace app icon too. But I fail to theme the Terminal icon (as it fails in Tango.theme).

Check if you are running GAP's latest SVN version of Terminal. Your might not have specified a bundle identifier.

Moreother, there doesn't seem to be a unique place to store the document icons usable by all GS-apps. I've seen this when creating some app_wrappers. Some GS-apps use mimetype suffixes in their plists, other apps use NS types... It does look like a real mess.

It does. That is the next thing we need to broadly address to have theme packs working. I always have seen the document icons packaged inside an app an then in the plist specified tem with a list of extentions.

Riccardo