Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 16:39:15 -0000 (UTC)

For your reference, records indicate that
Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

> That is, again your opinion., of course others are "wrong".

In what way are others “right”?  The interest in ObjC exploded after the
introduction of the iPhone.  How has GNUstep benefited from that?  What
are the big wins you can chalk up to your current approach?  More to my
original point, what is your vision for the future of GNUstep such that
your insistence on a brogrammer mentality makes sense?

> People can have the whishlist they want and the wishlist on GAP was put
> together that way... if you don't agree on an item, don't work on it. If
> you agree on one work on it. If you call Silly other peoples wishes, I
> can also call silly yours...

Take a step back and think about what I’m asking for.  It has nothing to
do with individual apps to “work on” and everything to do with the aims
for the GNUstep project itself.  If it is just to stroke your ego for
the trivial little apps you put together, then all hope is lost.  If,
instead, it is to create a platform that allows *everyone* to bring the
best code to the platform, then some real changes need to be made.

> I personally had the need of LaternaMagica.. and thus wrote it. For the
> Mac and ported it for fun on GNUstep.

Great.  We’ve all written a lot of code like that to scratch our personal
itches.  Keep in on your personal site.  Don’t undermine the GNUstep
project by putting it forward as an exemplar for what can be accomplished.

> It is open source software, if you like to use it, use it, if you don't
> like it, nobody is pushing it onto you.

The GNUstep project is.

> During LaternaMagica development, several GS bugs were found and nailed
> down! So... GNUstep is better now than it was 5 years ago thanks to it
> too and there is an App.

Imagine how many more bugs would have been found if a *better* app had
been used as the basis for the port.

> Now do you like Phoenix Slides? Buy  a Mac with 10.9+ or port it to GNUstep.

There is no point in doing so until the GNUstep project adopts a mission
statement that explicitly states it exists to support that kind of
activity.  As I keep saying, it is entirely unclear what the purpose of
GNUstep is.  To look at the site, it appears to have nothing to do with
getting a Mac app to work on a non-Apple platform.

> No problem, don't use it.

That is exactly the attitude that gets people to not use GNUstep.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly