Re: Questions (was: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Wind

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Questions (was: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows)
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 08:36:57 +0000

Sorry I misinterpreted your intent and willingness.  .
Perhaps it would have helped if, rather than saying

>  Speaking of documentation I am of the
>  concerted opinion that we should do away with autogsdoc.  The reason
>  for this is because it is yet another example of NIH.

You had said something like

>  Speaking of documentation, I have a plan to improve API docs by
> introduciing a better automated documentation generator, using a really
> cool tool that produces very pretty output (a tool we don't need to maintain
> ourselves) would you like to help?

One is negative (do away with) and cites a spurious reason, the other is
positive, mentions what I hope was the underlying thought behind the NIH
comment, and most importantly says there is a plan to improve something, rather
than saying there's something wrong; that's a big psychological difference.

If we were talking together (even over videoconferencing), this wouldn't really
matter, but in a public list we should avoid feeding the trolls who sieze upon
anything that sounds negative.