Re: Questions

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: Questions
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 19:11:14 -0000 (UTC)

For your reference, records indicate that
Bertrand Dekoninck <bertrand.dekoninck@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mister O'Leary,
> can you please stop insulting people on this list ?

I don’t believe I have done so.  I have certainly made accurate
characterizations of some of the attitudes that have been expressed
here.  I agree they are unflattering.  I agree something should be done
about it.  I don’t see how my being silent fixes GNUstep’s problems.

> Can you please stop qualifying those who don't agree with yours views
> with that highly infamous "brogrammer" name I didn't know a week ago
> (english isn't my first langage).

I’m using that term not because they disagree with me, but because they
have chosen to express themselves in a matter that agrees with that term.
They have continued to push for short-term thinking, a lack of planning,
been dismissive of outreach, and had a singular focus on coding.  What
term is more appropriate for those kinds of attitudes?

> If I refer to wikipedia, "A brogrammer (portmanteau of bro and
> programmer) is a slang term for a macho, male programmer".
>
> And I would'nt be pleased to be a member of a community of machos.

And yet here you are writing in support of them.

> Can you please stop taking so little excerpts from their mails that you
> can make them tell whatever you want ?

Selective quoting was done for brevity alone.  If you’re claiming
otherwise, please state specific examples where you think I’ve been
unfairly manipulative.

> Now, because I remember that you did complain about no mac apps being
> ported to GNUstep and supported by the team,
>
>       - you are free to take the maintainership of TextEdit,

Why would I?  Why would anyone?  Again, this is my whole point of why
the lack of a mission statement is preventing the project from
progressing.  To what end would I be working on TextEdit if GNUstep
has *no stated purpose* to support such efforts?  I’m long past the
point where I take satisfaction from idle coding.

>       - you are even free - and that would be better- to take the
> maintainership of Bean, a mac app which is part of the GAP project.

Come on, now!  Absolutely nobody should be expecting anyone new to trip
over the crowds looking to work on this app that’s “Coming soon”:

http://www.nongnu.org/gap/bean/index.html

That’s a prime example of why things beyond coding are important.  Bean
is made to look much more attractive on the Mac side of things:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24881/bean

But the heart of the problem still remains.  Either GNUstep does or does
not make ports of such software a goal.  If it does, it needs to change
the message it communicates on its site and the way project members
communicate in this discussion list.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly