Re: Ubuntu freetype link problem PDFKit

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Ubuntu freetype link problem PDFKit
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 16:54:20 +0100

> Am 19.01.2017 um 14:34 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it>:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I have trouble using the new release of PDFKit (do not remember the old one)
> on Ubuntu.
> The linking flags for freetype are now "queried" this way and this is clean:
> LIB_FREETYPE_LDFLAGS := $(shell freetype-config --libs)
>
> It works on BSDs, other Linux distributions, all is fine. On OpenBSD I need a
> special hack, I need to -r in the library path this way:
> ifeq ($(findstring openbsd, $(GNUSTEP_TARGET_OS)), openbsd)
> LIB_FREETYPE_LDFLAGS  += -Wl,-rpath=/usr/X11R6/lib
> endif
>
> I personally think this is a "bug" in OpenBSD's freetype/config.

I can't comment on this one and leave it to some OpenBSD expert.

> On Ubuntu I have a also a similar issue: PDFKit compiles fine, but then it
> fails to resolve symbols.
> The actual library is located in:
>
> /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so
>
> However:
> $ freetype-config --libs
> -lfreetype
>
> I wonder i there is a bug, like a missing symlink in Ubuntu? or a bug in
> freetype-config?
>
> I don't have clean workaround like in OpenBSD: I do not know how to guess the
> actual directory (architecture dependent) and also how  to detect I am
> running on Linux, Isince the TARGET_OS is linux and on other linux systems it
> works fine.
>
> Any opinions? Any ubuntu experts?

As Fred mentioned the output of freetype-config is correct (on my Ubuntu 16.04
there's /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu.conf, which makes sure that
libfreetype should be found). If you get linking errors then I'd suspect that
either you haven't installed the libfreetype6-dev package (the .so file doesn't
contain any symbols, they are present in the corresponding .a file, which is
part of the -dev package) or there's an issue with the order of libraries on
the command line.

Wolfgang