Re: Use of NSZoneStat()

From: amon
Subject: Re: Use of NSZoneStat()
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 12:08:19 -0600

Just to re-iterate... most of those tools are of little help.
I am doing embedded systems that will run for long periods of
time and may have life-safety implications. The small boxes
are ARM based linux boxes. No GUI. All work is via an xterm
over an ssh with the target host running one or more ObjC based
daemons.

Yes, I can test some things on a desktop, but the religious mantra
of my industry is "Test as you fly, fly as you test."

Yes, there are multiple ways to manage storage, and over a period
of years, all of them may end up in a given large code body and
have unexpected interactions, not to mention human confusion
and error. You really do need an absolute ground truth test so
you can run a Class (or entire application) through its paces
and at the end have a file-able document showing
Free(starttime) == Free(stoptime). Although not there yet, I
would not find it surprising if I had to supply such information
to show that I meet the tough regulatory requirements of the
various potential users.

The ZoneInfo code does get me that information, which is an
invaluable aid. Admittedly, it could be better. I had forgotten
about valgrind... the last time I looked at it was probably
15+ years ago so it has probably improved greatly. A quick check
shows they are supporting Linux/ARM so now you've caused me to
have to read another manual!

|   Dale Amon                  Immortal Data                    |
|   CEO             Midland International Air and Space Port    |
| amon@vnl.com       "Data Systems for Deep Space and Time"     |