Re: NSMutableString -initWithFormat appends to existing text

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: NSMutableString -initWithFormat appends to existing text
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 17:28:09 +0200

Hi,

Mick Bert wrote:

What do you mean by "write the stream directly"?

you dump the whole string directly to a path. Easy and fast!

Otherwise indeed, work with NSFileHandle

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnustep/resources/documentation/Developer/Base/Reference/NSFileHandle.html

How about reading per-line?
Have I to read a chunk of file, and look by myself for the line
terminator? Aren't there something like the std::getline() of c++?

As far as I know, no. you can read per character, per bytes, by sized chunks. But not per dat. You could write an extension yourself if needed.

However, a very quick way is to slurp the whole file in a string and split in an NSArray with -componentsSeparatedByString:
I have used that with files of GBytes, provided your system has memory.

My suggestion is to try to use that and start writing your program and then optimize later, if you don't know already that you need to work on extremely big files that you can handle.

Riccardo