Re: Bugs in gui/back

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Bugs in gui/back
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 11:07:06 +0200

Hi Liam,

thanks for all your responses and tips:

If you are running a beta of 18.04, the forthcoming LTS version, then
again, it's GNOME 3 and Clutter under Wayland.

I - in the meanwhile - installed the newest version of VirtualBox on a Mac and into that as a guest OS the newest version of Ubuntu 18.04 TLS. I could do

apt install wmaker

but am not offerered window maker as an option on the login page!? :-(

They again changed everything. /etc/network/interfaces no longer works. They have invented just another theme to configure network interfaces.

pico /etc/netplan/01-network-manager-all.yaml

"networkd" does not work for me

network:
  version: 2
  renderer: networkd
 ethernets:
   enp0s3:
     dhcp4: no
     dhcp6: no
     addresses: [192.168.2.198/24]
     gateway4: 192.168.2.1
     nameservers:
       addresses: [8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4]

root@RetinaUbuntu18:~# netplan apply
Invalid YAML at //etc/netplan/01-network-manager-all.yaml line 4 column 1: did not find expected key

I also tried

network:
  version: 2
  renderer: NetworkManager

but wasn't able to start NetworkManager to setup a static network interface and dns-severs.

sudo NetworkManager
No error message but it happens nothing. If I simply say

NetworkManager

in a terminal session I get "You must be root to run NetworkManager". I tried to login as root into a gui session (root passwd is set and working) but not even that works "Sorry, that didn't work. Please try again".

In the meanwhile I spent days on getting Ububntu 16 ... 18 to work under VirtualBox (and possibly Window Maker) to test out the gui/back issue but am failing badly. :-( I will probably try my luck with other Linux distros now  ...

I am still looking for (or trying to assemble) a step by step tutorial to setup a GNUstep system from scratch on current hardware and current Linux releases. No luck at all. I am at zereo. This should be easier in 2018!?

Best wishes,

 Andreas