Re: TextEdit : critical error prevents loading

From: Patrick CARDONA
Subject: Re: TextEdit : critical error prevents loading
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2018 17:16:01 +0200

Hi Yavor and All,

On 2018-07-10 14:45:25 +0200 Yavor Doganov <yavor@gnu.org> wrote:

Patrick CARDONA wrote:
I am very confused, beacause I tried an update of the Epson printer
driver in the meanwhile, just from Epson support site; and now, I am
not able to reproduce the bug : TextEdit is running and I can show up
printer panel and Page Layout.

This means that the updated .ppd file doesn't have the same issue like
the old one, so it is parsed and loaded successfully.

I just notice that the margins in the summery of the Page Layout are
very odd (attached screenshot) and when I print an example, the text
is not placed where it should be.

This is a separate issue; I think there's a bug in the way the margins
are computed as they are also wrong for me.

To answer your question, yes, I would appreciate to know how to apply
the patch and will try to reproduce the bug back again to verify the
patch.

You will need the appropriate deb-src entries in your
/etc/apt/sources.list.  Then do:

$ apt-get source gnustep-gui
$ cd gnustep-gui-*
$ cp /path/to/test.patch debian/patches
$ echo test.patch >> debian/patches/series
$ sudo apt install build-essential devscripts
$ sudo apt-get build-dep gnustep-gui
$ DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nocheck debuild -b -us -uc
$ sudo dpkg -i ../libgnustep-gui0.26_*.deb

Make sure you close all GNUstep applications before testing; otherwise
the library that is already loaded will be used. Also, it goes without
saying that you should downgrade your epson driver package to the old
version containing the problematic .ppd.

Well, my migration to Debian testing (buster/sid) is complete now. I had to make a few reinstall due to a screen issue after suspend mode.
I hope this is solved now, but no matter with GNUstep apps.
And so, from this fresh install, I set up my Epson printer with cups and I could not reproduce the bug because the cups client got obviously a good .PPD file. So I am sorry again not to be able to approve the patch.

Bye!
Patrick