Re: building GNUstep from scratch

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: building GNUstep from scratch
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 08:47:12 +0200

Hi,

On 08/22/18 00:34, Scott Christley wrote:
Honestly, I'm not sure if I need the modern runtime or not. I do use NSInvocation stuff quite a bit but I don't think this code base needs the runtime introspection stuff...

you need he modern runtime if you need modern features like blocks. Also properties are better supported.
The modern runtime gives you also the modern @try @catch exception handling.

Performance wise it may be better or worse, depending on your code. If your code "compiles" with gcc, it should also run - barren bugs.

In theory libobjc2 supports both "gnu" and "ng" runtimes and did so for a long time, but latest release are buggy for me, either they crash the code or they fail to catch exceptions

I did get further and was able to compile libobjc2 completely after setting cc and c++ to clang. However, two tests failed so maybe that's the recent difficulties you were mentioning.

The following tests FAILED:

25 - PropertyIntrospectionTest2 (OTHER_FAULT)

26 - PropertyIntrospectionTest2_optimised (OTHER_FAULT)

No that's different, I hope others will help you or maybe David himself.

Riccardo