Re: Warning with clang, error with gcc : attached files

From: Bertrand Dekoninck
Subject: Re: Warning with clang, error with gcc : attached files
Date: Fri, 03 May 2019 15:34:46 +0200

On 2019-05-03 15:11:04 +0200 David Chisnall <gnustep@theravensnest.org> wrote:

On 03/05/2019 14:05, Fred Kiefer wrote:
Thanks ! I feared it was too simple. So I still get the same problem : the error in gcc does seem to come from the fact that [self themeControlState] returns an id (because private) when GSThemeControlState is an enum and not a pointer. When I tried declare a category of NSButtonCell to have this function public, I thought I could use a selector to perform the call . But I still get the same problem now : how will I have a return value that is for sure a GSThemeControlState ?

Why would you use the selector if you already declared a category. Just having a category and using the method normally in the file should work.

I believe the confusion is that we are suggesting that you *declare* a category, not *implement* a category.

If you have a class A with a header like this:

@interface A : B
- (void)foo;
@end

And a .m file that contains this:

@implementation A
- (void)foo {}
- (int)bar { return 42; }
@end

You can add a category *declaration* in another file like this:

@interface A (SecretStuff)
- (int)bar;
@end

This tells the compiler that you expect A to implement a method called bar that takes no arguments and returns int. If you then call it and it does not exist, you will get an exception. If you call it and the return types / argument types don't match then the GNUstep runtime will either raise an exception or warn you (depending on how you've configured it), other runtimes will do unexpected things up to and including corrupting your stack.

You don't need to provide an @implementation for this category, the compiler assumes that one exists in another compilation unit.

David
Thanks a lot ! That's much clearer.
You are right, I was trying to implement an auxiliary method that would call themeControlState. I thought declaring it would override gnustep's one.
I'll try this.
But if Richard have it public as it said, this won't be mandatory.
Bertrand