Re: Live GNUstep Android game ( Golf Blitz )

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Live GNUstep Android game ( Golf Blitz )
Date: Tue, 7 May 2019 09:53:27 +0100

The build system is a constant source of pain for people trying to use GNUstep. It's very easy to use if you are making a GNUstep project, but it is a huge pain if you are either:

- Making a project that uses GNUstep.
- Making a project that uses GNUstep and XCode on Mac / iOS.

With the exception of FreeBSD (which has a truly horrible build system based on BSD Make that has gradually accreted over several decades), every other project that I work on uses CMake as the build system.

CMake can generate XCode project files (and Eclipse, Visual Studio, and a bunch of other things). It can also generate ninja files for fast parallel builds and emit json compilation databases for all of the clang tools to work with. CMake isn't great, it's just the least bad of the alternatives.

A few things that are easy with CMake + CTest that are part of my normal workflow everywhere else and are really hard with GNUstep:

- Building all of the tests so that I can run just the one that failed.

- Doing a 32-way parallel build of all of the tests, so my CPU cores are busy building the tests.

- Building multiple different combinations of tests (the runtime's tests are almost all built with both ABIs and with -O0 and -O3).

- Running 32 tests in parallel. The libobjc2 test suite contains a few hundred tests and completes in around 5 seconds on my desktop. On the CI machines, which have 4 cores, it takes 10-21 seconds doing a 4-way parallel test (30 seconds on the FreeBSD tests, but that's on Cirrus CI, which is slower than Azure Pipelines). One of the tests uses a LOT of memory, so it is marked to make sure that different configurations of it do not run in parallel with each other.

- Generating IDE project files so I can run refactoring tools in a GUI.

- Building with Ninja, so I get a parallel build of the entire project that uses all of my cores.

- Building multiple configurations from a single source checkout. I typically have a release, debug, and debug + ASan build for things I'm working on. I'll use a release build for basic feature testing (because the tests run faster), switch to Debug when things go wrong, and use Debug + ASan if it looks as if there's a memory management issue. With CMake (and any vaguely modern build system), the build is driven from the object directory and the configuration is stored there, so it's easy to have a separate build directory for each one. GNUstep's build system doesn't even allow out-of-tree builds (though autoconf + GNU Make do).

- CI reporting for the test suite. Systems like Jenkins have support for parsing JUnit XML or similar formats to report the tests passing / failing over time. CTest doesn't generate this natively, but there's an XSLT that will translate XTest output to JUnit XML, so you can see graphs of the number of tests succeeding and failing over time.

- Reconfiguring the build in a tool designed for humans (CMake has a curses interface and X and Windows GUIs that show each of the configuration options and some help text. If I want to toggle something on or off in a build, I run cmake (or cmake-gui on Windows), use the search function to find the option, toggle it, and my build is now reconfigured. IDEs increasingly have native support for this built in, so you don't even need a separate tool if you live in an IDE.

I still write code in vim and build on the command line, but I am very much aware that this puts me in a minority. Most developers now use IDEs and expect a lot of the surrounding tooling to work and GNUstep Make is a significant impediment to this.

David