Bug in gui ?

From: Bertrand Dekoninck
Subject: Bug in gui ?
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 00:46:03 +0200

When using horizontal menus and translated apps, the "Info" submenu isn"t
attached to the top menu but appears on the menubar. I suspect a bug in in gui.

In NSMenu.m at line 337, we find this condiion to add the "Info" item to
titleItem of the menu :

// The menu may not be localized, so we have to
// check both the English and the local version.
                  if ([title isEqual: @"Info"] ||
                      [title isEqual: @"Services"] ||
                      [title isEqual: infoString] ||
                      [title isEqual: servicesString])

where infoString is _(@'Info") in the code.

For instance in GNUMail, we got this entry in the french Localizable.strings :

"Info" = "Informations";

Then, using the french locale, the "Informations" submenu is drawn on the
menubar, at second position, instead of being a submenu of the first item (nameĀ
of the app).

If I change this entry in Localizable.strings to :

"Info" = "Info";

then the "Info" is drawn as a submenu of the first item of the menubar, as it
should.

I noticed that the french Localizable.strings of gui also get an "Info" =
"Info" entry about NSMenu.m. Could there be a conflict between gui and
GNUMail's localizations ?

Note that GNUMail isn't the only app hitten by this bug. GWorkspace also
suffers from it.

Any further ideas ?

Bertrand Dekoninck