Timeboxing the GCC vs Clang issue...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Timeboxing the GCC vs Clang issue...
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 16:36:15 -0500

Guys,

I am going to set an ultimatum at this point.  Any decision regarding the deprecation of GCC will be deferred for one year from this date.
We know what needs to be done in that time frame to bring GCC up task and I will discuss with the GCC team about possible implementation whether that involves them doing it or us doing it ourselves (the latter being the more likely scenario).

While gcc is valuable and clang brings many advantages, I want to give some compromise to allow gcc to catch up to our needs.   For now both gcc and clang will be supported... there will be no forking of GNUstep (I'm not sure who brought that up, but it is a notion I am against).

We either need to have one of two things or both...
1. macros to abstract out the differences entirely for blocks declaring and calling... the beginnings of arc.
2. The blocks functionality fully implemented in GCC.

P.S. Timeboxing is where you give something a time limit or deadline.

GC
--
Gregory Casamento
http://ind.ie/phoenix/