Emacs, Again

From: Steven Nunez
Subject: Emacs, Again
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 10:12:17 +0000 (UTC)

Greetings all,

Right about 3 years ago I made an attempt to compile emacs under GNUstep, eventually running out of time and instead using the FreeBSD package version (GTK). During that attempt, I asked a few questions in a thread on this list.

Sadly, things do not seem to have changed much since then. The emacs 28.0.50 configuration out of the box for FreeBSD is still broken, but can be overcome with almost the same options to configure:

env CFLAGS="-DGNUSTEP -I/usr/local/include" ./configure --with-ns --with-gnustep-conf=/usr/local/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf

however I'm now getting linker errors:

nsfont.o:(__objc_constant_string+0x18): undefined reference to `._OBJC_CLASS_NSConstantString'
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

This looks like it needs a LDFLAGS option, but I can't find the magic incantation. libobjc lives in /usr/local/lib on FreeBSD (11.3-p7, all packages updated).

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,
    Steve Nunez

P.S. Is the FreeBSD maintainer here? I noticed that the configuration files are still in /usr/local/GNUstep.conf, where as I think they should be in /usr/local/etc/