Re: GNUstep - look and feel

From: Johannes Brakensiek
Subject: Re: GNUstep - look and feel
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 10:34:29 +0200

Hi Andreas,

On 9 May 2020, at 2:17, Bertrand Dekoninck wrote:

Rik : https://github.com/AlessandroSangiuliano/rik.theme This one needs the gnustep runtime and clang.

https://github.com/BertrandDekoninck/NesedahRik

I’m using Rik (GNUstep runtime 1.9) or NesedahRik (gcc, GNUstep runtime 2.0) with most of my installations. I’m using SystemPreferences.app to set the menu style to Mac style (horizontal menu bar). You may also use:

defaults write NSInterfaceStyleDefault NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle
defaults write NSMenuInterfaceStyle NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle

Look and feel of default apps already seems pretty decent to me then.

Bertrand is also a little bit humble regarding his work to prettify the GNUstep appearance:

If you want some nice icons, 3D and shadow effects I suggest to follow Betrand’s setup using Compton, Icons and a WindowMaker theme which he has documented here: https://github.com/BertrandDekoninck/WindowMaker-session

If you turn off the dock of wmaker and use GWorkspace and its dock you will get pretty decent looks similar to these:

I’m using this setup with clang (GNUstep runtime 1.9, libobjc 1.9) and a Raspberry Pi 3B+ (armhf, 32bit system). It looks pretty familiar for Mac users, runs faster than Mate Desktop and has very low memory footprint (about 200MB of RAM).

Johannes