Re: ctrl-mouse drag does not work

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: ctrl-mouse drag does not work
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 23:35:22 +0200

Hi Fred and all,

>> I usually start a drag operation with ctrl-drag in my apps. I just realised
>> that this (no longer) works under GNUstep. Instead a context menu is
>> raised!? I first thought this was due to a WindowMaker setting. But I see
>> the same behaviour under xfce. Has this changed in GNUstep over the years?
>> On MacSOX and with the old GNUstep tree (we were using years ago) we could
>> happily use Ctrl-left-mouse-down and then drag to initiate a drag operation.
>> Can this be reenabled somehow (may be with a global default) in the current
>> GNUstep release?
>
> I am not using Drag&Drop that much in GNUstep. This might be because I
> implemented it and still feel bad about it. But the basic principles haven’t
> changed since your version of GNUstep. For GNUstep itself no modifier key is
> required to start a drag operation pressing the left mouse button (which may
> of course be redefined to the right or any other one) of the mouse and moving
> the mouse a bit should start this. Of course specific views may require
> additional keys to be press to start specific operations. Gorm uses this when
> creating connections between elements. Gorm is really the best place to start
> testing D&D with GNUstep as this gets used a lot there. And there it is also
> easy to see when a Window Manager steals a specific key combination. In that
> case you will have to either reconfigure your WM or define different
> modifiers in GNUstep. For GNUstep the simplest way to redefine modifiers keys
> is in SystemPreferences.

In the meanwhile I found system preferences here

        https://github.com/gnustep/apps-systempreferences/releases

and set the key modifiers to

First command:  Left Meta
First Alternate:                Left Alt
First Control:          Left Control

but this made no difference. I still can't initiate drag operations in my apps
with Ctrl-Drag, neither under WindowMaker nor xfce. I instead get a context
menu. So the window managers obviously steal the key mouse event!? :-(

Anything I can do about that? Has anyone Gorm.app running under WindowMaker of
xfce?

Thanks,

 Andreas