Re: TexTEdit often freezes GWorkspace while editing a text file

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: TexTEdit often freezes GWorkspace while editing a text file
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 17:58:30 +0200

Hi Patrick,

Patrick Cardona wrote:

I have experienced a very bad behaviour with TextEdit while editing simple and tiny text files, which every time had the same result : GWorkspace became frozen. The only way to go ahead was to terminate / kill the GWorkspace app with the context menu of the window. I wonder how a simple app like an editor could freeze the whole Workspace...

It should absolutely not! I wonder what is happening.
If I remember, TextEdit is almost a pure "OpenStep" port in BackBone, so if there are issues, it is 99% a GNUstep bug.

So, what were the alternatives ?
I want an app well integrated in the GNUstep ecosystem.
Nedit.app is ugly and cannot deal with unicode, which I need in French editing context. Gemas, Emacs.app are more oriented hacking tasks done,  and in my case,  Gemas is not able to load a file with #o or like a service. I have not tried Emacs.app yet because I read about a slow scrolling in the discuss list...

So I choose Ink.app, which seems fine and much stable for these diary quick text editing tasks than TextEdit was.

Ink is my generic "notepad" as GNUstep application.

I use Emacs but only as non-gnustep app, I hope that sooner or later we can enjoy the native version, but for now it is hard.

Who does really use TextEdit on GNU/Linux OSes as the main GWorkspace editor ?

I don't but it should work, I think it is worth a debug.

Riccardo