Re: Debian Package Repository...

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Debian Package Repository...
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 01:09:58 +0100

Note that I patched gnustep-make many years ago to produce source packages which I experimentally uploaded to Canonical's PPA system and thus produced binary packages. I never claimed ~gnustep, though ;)

They likely don't confirm to many of the Debian standards, and I didn't use this in a long time, but I don't think anyone removed the targets from gnustep-make. This means for many of the projects you might be able to package them with minimal effort.

The targets present should allow building binary packages too. I recall putting some of this on my own repo, but PPAs are more convenient for Ubuntu users.

sent from phone

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020, 17:11 Johannes Brakensiek <johannes@brakensiek.info> wrote:
Hey Gregory,

On 29 Jul 2020, at 16:52, Gregory Casamento wrote:

> One of the things we have struggled with in the past is the fact that
> the
> Debian packages are, necessarily, way behind.   I would like to set up
> repo that contains the needed packages (at first for deb, but then for
> rpm
> based repositories as well) for users to get their packages directly
> from
> us IF they choose to do so.  I am in no way saying we should not
> create
> packages for Debian, but this would allow us to have more control and
> also
> would allow us to create packages that use clang instead of GCC for
> Linux.
>
> I am going to set this up on an AWS server.  I will let you guys know
> about
> my progress.  If anyone would like to help or has any advice, let me
> know.

thank you for putting new efforts into this, I think this is a great
idea. ;)

But I’d beg you to not start afresh again. The work of preparing the
source packages already has been done for the Nextspace project:
https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace/tree/master/Packaging/Debian

These are the GNUstep packages plus those needed for Nextspace and they
are all based on the Debian ones, just renamed.

It would be of great use you could provide the binary packages for this.
I’d prefer them to not be hosted on AWS, but that’s a minor issue to
me.

I also tried to set up a PPA for GNUstep
(https://launchpad.net/~gnustep), but I did not achieve much progress
regarding CI/CD, because some of the automatic imports of GNUstep
repositories are failing due to a bug of LaunchPad itself. So I’d
rather prefer a CD approach based on the source packages mentioned
above, provided by a custom Debian repository.

Thank you
Johannes