Re: A window manager written in objective-c: uroswm and gnustep support

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: A window manager written in objective-c: uroswm and gnustep support problems
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 23:15:33 +0200

HI Alex,

even after reading your Github column, I still don’t quite understand the issue.

It might help you to know that all other window managers I am aware of don’t
support the EWMH feature _NET_REQUEST_FRAME_EXTENTS, or at least none did when
we implemented this feature. So this code path is lesser used in GNustep and
there might be undetected issues with it. Maybe it would be best wo disable
this feature in your window manager for now and to try to get the rest working
first?

As for the configure event you should run the GNUstep application with the
option „—GNU-Debug=NSEvent“ to see more information about event handling.
And did you see this comment in the GNUstep code:

          /*
            According to the ICCCM, coordinates in synthetic events
            (ie. non-zero send_event) are in root space, while coordinates
            in real events are in the parent window's space. The parent
            window might be some window manager window, so we can't
            directly use those coordinates.
            Thus, if the event is real, we use XTranslateCoordinates to
            get the root space coordinates.
            */

This might be the reason why your events get handled incorrectly by the GNUstep
code? But this is only guessing and won’t help. Without more data I won’t be
able to help you.

Cheers,
Fred