Re: NeXTstep interface

From: Johannes Brakensiek
Subject: Re: NeXTstep interface
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 13:58:59 +0200

Hi Simon,

On 28 Sep 2020, at 0:43, Simon Gornall wrote:

So I came across this (https://www.ninamakes.co.uk/builds/next-computer-replica-raspberry-pi-case/ <https://www.ninamakes.co.uk/builds/next-computer-replica-raspberry-pi-case/>) and it’d be pretty cool to have a NeXT-like interface running on the Pi in that enclosure, and I assume running GNUstep is the best way to do something like that.

Any hints on what’s the best way to go about this, starting from scratch ?

Is it even possible to get the NeXT window manager experience ? Etoile looks to have a different ‘look-and-feel’ from the screenshots I’ve seen, although Nextspace (https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace <https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace>) looks pretty realistic to my untutored eye, and also runs with Centos 8, although it may not work with the PI (it looks pretty focussed on x86).

you can get the basic GNUstep experience on any Debian based system by just installing WindowMaker (wmaker) and GNUstep with GWorkspace via apt. This works well using Raspbian f.e., see http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Platform:Linux#Debian

You can install Nextspace as well (libobjc2 works on ARM since its last release). But you will need to compile and install it yourself. Packaging for Debian is still work in progress and does not lead to a fully working environment yet. rpm packaging for other platforms seems to be implemented currently as well. See https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace/tree/master/Packaging for that progress.

Good luck
Johannes