Re: Debian Package Repository...

From: Johannes Brakensiek
Subject: Re: Debian Package Repository...
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 21:28:27 +0100

Hello everyone,

>> On 15 Dec 2020, at 03:23, Patryk Laurent <plaurent@me.com> wrote:

>> I’d be interested to know if there are any updates on this. One of the
>> most popular distributions on Pine64’s PinePhone is Mobian which is
>> Debian with mobile UI added on top.
>
>> I have a build script working for Mobian[1] but up-to-date packages would
>> be great as they’d be easier to specify as dependencies.

as part of the Nextspace project/repo Patrick Georgi and me have been working
on Debian packaging a bit. But for me it's still unfinished as you will have to
get clang 8 from backports, which makes packaging for Buster a little bit
complicated (and is much easier for sid).

This pull request contains some efforts, that work. I won't be too hard to port
them back for GNUstep packages:
https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace/pull/353

In the meantime I installed Arch/Manjaro on my development laptop as you are
provided with much more recent packages when using a rolling release. And the
Arch PKGBUILD system is quite easy to set up, so I've created some Arch
packages using clang and libobjc2. These are compiled from git sources and thus
provide some sort of continous delivery for development purposes:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:letterus:gnustep-ngr

That said I'd happily provide information on how to retrigger builds for the
app/project you maintain to deliver a fresh build if you wish.

One would have to add, that openSUSE's Open Build Service currently only
provides x86_64 packages for Arch PKGBUILD files.

This is not the case for Debian and RPM spec files. So I would of course add
packaging instructions for additionall distributions and architectures in case
anybody would like to provide these.

So far. Stay sound and healthy
Johannes

P.S.: For Manjaro users (I really like it); Add a panel to the top of the
screen, add a global menu there and set GNUstep to use the Sombre.theme from
Bertrand Dekoninck. From a optical point of view it integrates nicely, I think.