Problem with icns file

From: Bertrand Dekoninck
Subject: Problem with icns file
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 20:21:39 +0100

Hi everyone !

I'm working on theming icons again and ma facing a problem with InnerSpace icns icon. This is the first icns ifle I've encountered in gnustep applications resources folder.

I've created a custom SVG icon for it, which I've converted to 1024x1024 png.

I don't now how Gregory did generate its original InnerSpace_Icon.icns file.

I didn't find any linux tool to convert it to icns file and only found a little script on the web using apple's sips and iconutil tools.

The problem is that the resulting icon doesn't display properly at 48x48 size in GWorkspace. At this size, the icon displayed is in fact the 32x32 one and is smaller than all the others. I think GNUstep and/or GWorkspace don't display correctly high res icns file at this size.

I can see on Macos Preview differences between my icns and Greg's one :

Greg's contains 16x16, 32x32, 128x128, 256x256, 512x512 at 72 ppm sizes, plus a 512x512@2x (1024x1024 at 144 bpm).

Mine contains the same plus 16x16@2x, 32x32@2x, 128x128@2x, 256x256@2x.

I attach the script used to generate the icon and the icon itself to this mail.

Can someone help me figure out how to override this problem ?

Last question : Gworkspace seems to display  icons better at 64x64 if it's an icns file than a 48x48 tiff file. Should I increase the size of my icons ? Would it be possible to implement bigger sizes in GWorkspace (128 ? 256 ?) using bigger tiff files or this format containing multiple files? GWorkspace is a little poor looking compared to other filemanagers and desktop  in this area.

Cheers,

Bertrand