Re: Problem with the GNUStep packages in FreebSD?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Problem with the GNUStep packages in FreebSD?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 08:56:15 +0100

Hi Edwin,

a foreword, the 12.1 -> 12.2 upgrade on FreeBSD was a painful for me. Although a minor release, it broke compatibility with many packages, especially with C++. I don't know what they changed, but they did upgrade "too much" for a minor release in my opinion. Right now things have stabilized in ports, but e.g I still am unable to compile SeaMonkey, or ArcticFox compiles but does not install or crashes, while it does work on 12.1.

Edwin Ancaer wrote:
When I execute the existing applications (eg. GNUMail), I see the error message:
$ openapp GNUMail
ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libgnustep-gui.so.0.27" not found, required by "GNUMail"
$

This means gui is not found in the correct version for GNUMail. Does this happen with all apps?

please check with "pkg info" if gnustep packages are installed and which base, gui, backĀ  do you have.
Also, try to locate libgnustep-gui on disk.
Maybe during upgrade gui was uninstalled and/or not upgraded?
Or instead, for some reason GNUMail was just not updated on your system, try removing it and reinstalling it!

Another thing could be that you now have gui 0.28, but the applications still look for the old version, perhaps they packages were not correctly rebuilt with a gui release. 0.27 is old, from 2019, while 2020 release was 0.28

Riccardo