[DMCA-Activists] [Fwd: Re: Rep. Boucher's new bill]

From: Jonathan Watterson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] [Fwd: Re: Rep. Boucher's new bill]
Date: 12 Jul 2002 13:56:22 -0400

Hi all,

Here I'm forwarding comments from my friend Jim Infantino, singer &
songwriter from the band Jim's Big Ego <bigego.com>, on the proposed
bill by Rep. Boucher that would protect fair use and artists'  rights.

Incidentally, Jim wrote a song inspired by the fight to keep music free
from the control of folks like the RIAA; it's called "Mixtape."

ftp://ftp.bigego.com/mixtape.mp3

"I don't know what's wrong with people
Who think that music should be locked away
Don't they remember when they listened to their mix tapes
Which got them into the business in the first place"

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Jonathan Watterson                                Digital Freedom Organizer
http://digitalspeech.org                          Free Software Foundation

Digital Speech Project: Fight for your rights online!
Donate: http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?p=.dsp0&m=jono%40digitalspeech.org
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Rep. Boucher's new bill Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:50:34 -0400
Jonathan,

This is a bold bill - it has huge implications - and it will be seriously and heatedly embattled. It took serious guts on the part of Rep. Boucher to introduce it, considering who will feel threatened by it. Aside from standing up for the consumer's rights to make backups of material for their own use, and allowing web radio and web stores to function normally while trying to promote this material (which should be in the best interest of the RIAA) - and putting these items into law, it has some surprising points:

* Address older "mechanical" rights of copyright law by creating "safe harbor" provisions. This would let a user or potential licensee of music pay a kind of "royalty deposit" with the federal copyright office while the sometimes lengthy search for a copyright owner or publisher is underway.

a Major issue is one of "what is a mechanical copy?" - Three years ago it was determined in the courts that mp3s are mechanical copies and so fall under the interest of the Recording Industry, who deal in mechanicals (records) - as opposed to broadcast - which is the realm of ASCAP, BMI and the like who collect royalties for the songwriter. What Rep. Boucher is proposing is that moneys collected for downloads or broadcast on the web be channeled eventually to the copyright owner - which may not lead to the pockets of the members of the RIAA - it may instead lead to the writer or performing artist directly. The RIAA claim they hold 80% of the copyrights world wide - but we all know that Labels sign only 1% of 1% of of the artists of quality out there. If copyright owners were compensated directly - it would effectively bypass the RIAA. This point should make them mad.

* Require "non-discrimination" in the licensing of music inventories by major labels in the music industry.

Boucher said the idea is if a record label licenses a wholly-owned subsidiary it created to deliver online music, it needs to give a comparable license to a competitor. "I think it's essential that we engender a positive competition in the delivery of music on the Internet and avoid a major duopoloy" among major record labels that together control about 80 percent of existing music libraries.

There is nothing more frightening to the RIAA than the free market. They are suffering (if they are suffering) because they are trying to sell a product that people need less and less at a more and more inflated price. This point should make them scared.

*       Require an examination of programming restrictions.

Boucher said current law restricts the number of tracks that Webcasters or digital satellite radio broadcasters can play within a given three-hour period. The theory is to restrict the recording and pirating of digital works. But the law does not apply to terrestrial broadcasters. "It's what you might call an asynchronous law," he said of current DMCA provisions. "My solution is let's not apply it to anybody."

Very true - this has been a glaring inconsistency. Like most of the other bills, you can see the motivation of the profiteers in it more than the logic of any kind of law.

* Require direct payment to artists: Current law says royalty payments are to be shared among the recording companies and performing artists. "Our bill requires that these payments instead be made directly to the artists or to a collective organization representing the artists."

This one is the kicker. This gets to the main point which is that the market no longer needs "Record Companies". There will always be a need for Publicity Machines, Solid Media Manufacturers, (like people who make cds or hard drives or cd burners or crystal storage rings or whatever) Recording Engineers/ Music Producers, (this requires real talent, believe me - machines can't replace them) and Musicians. What we have a rapidly dwindling need for is Records or CDs and Distribution of these materials. Unfortunately, this is the main function of a Record Company. Boucher knows this, and I'm sure he's aware that the industry will slam him with everything they have to try to stay alive for a few more years. He knows that for better or worse (I think for better) we are at a point in the history of music where matter doesn't matter. We've all spent our cd money on computers & an internet connection and we expect it to pay off.

that's the tune that I'm humming.

Jim