Re: [DMCA-Activists] Re: [fsl-discuss] Re: IP: FCC INITIATES RULEMAKING

From: Serge Wroclawski
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] Re: [fsl-discuss] Re: IP: FCC INITIATES RULEMAKING TO EXPLORE DIGITALCOPYRIGHT
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:53:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Seth Johnson wrote:

> Consider the impact that having flexible, higher-value
> digital material coming out of "public sources" would have
> on the dinosaur content industries' continual efforts to
> impose technological restrictions on *their* output!

Unfortunately, this goal is difficult to achieve. Although we see the
higher value in Free information, there is a great deal of difficulty in
getting others to see it, if for no other reason than the opposition uses
thier explotive methods to fund more bells and whistles (interactive,
better special effects, more famous actors, etc.), and this draws a bigger
audience if for no other reason than exposure.

> Constitution is to promote science and the useful arts.
> That is, the whole point of it in the first place is to
> encourage the spread of useful information and knowledge,
> and exclusive rights don't cover the factual elements of
> expressive works, because information in itself is
> *intrinsically* free.

Yes, I think we all agree on this. But it behoves us to find legal ways to
protect our speech since I fear going head to head with these companies in
terms of content will lock us out by simple things like DVD content
controls combined with laws lik the DMCA.

> People who put out information products under content
> control should be barred from exclusive rights coverage.
> They are not meeting and upholding the principles according
> to which they have been granted exclusive rights in the
> first place.

Can you elaborate on what you mean here Seth? I'm not sure I understand.

> Until those remaining in denial finally come to terms with
> reality and give up on continually trying to institute
> content control by means of legislation, we just have to
> keep confronting them with the implacable truth about what
> they're trying to do.

It's vital to continue the education campaign for the long term survival
of Free Software (and other manner of things starting with Free). This
message got lost for a long time, and it's good to hear it again.

At the same time, the more we do to help our case, the more people will
hear about us without direct education.

- Serge Wroclawski