[DMCA-Activists] Re: Declan on Activism (fwd)

From: Serge Wroclawski
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Re: Declan on Activism (fwd)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:21:54 -0400 (EDT)

I don't think Declan's response got posted so I've forwarded it.

( a few comments on it )

Declan's point is well made- I don't disagree either that software writers
should write software and try not to let the draconian laws which are in
place/comming forward stop them.

I was thinking a few days ago how bad things had gotten for us...

I mean it's got to be really bad if the geek are getting out from under
thier under-lit basements and out of thier chairs, away from thier
computers even (for a little while) to do things like go to meetings,
protest and whatnot. That's how you know it's really bad, when the geeks
go outside. ;)

Seriously though, Declan's right- it's our right and duty to put forth
these efforts and to help them continue if we can.

I just don't want any of us to be discouraged by the current situation,
and we must find some way to organize if we want to sucessfully have our
side heard.

I think a better angle on Declan's story might be, let's find effective
means of getting our message out and to the right people, rather than
spending a lot of {time|energy|goodwill|money} on means which won't get us
where we need to be.

- Serge Wroclawski