[DMCA-Activists] RIAA sues backbone ISP's

From: Matthew Caron
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] RIAA sues backbone ISP's
Date: 16 Aug 2002 21:16:03 -0400

because they allow people to access a Chinese website with copyright
infringing music on it.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/08/16/2258222&mode=flat&tid=141

I don't quite know how to take this. A few things occur to me (and Liz):

1.) The Internet violates the DMCA by being a tool for circumventing
copyright protection (because I can download the thing from the
internet), and anyone using it or supporting it is committing a felony
(by supporting such a technology). Also, since Al Gore "Invented the
Internet" isn't he the creator if this copyright circumvention
technology? (<- From Liz..)

2.) In an interesting turn of events, US Authorities (big corporations,
after all, what other authority is there when politicians are bought and
sold like so much chattle..) are blocking access to offensive Chinese
websites that hurt their agendas, instead of the usual "Chinese
Authorities are blocking US websites that criticize their agendas".

In case anyone is curious, I've found that if you seek out local
artists, their CD's retail for about $10, are of similar or better
quality (mostly better) to "mass market" CD's, and the artists actually
see some of that money, unlike most mainstream artists. I've been
boycotting the RIAA artists, and it hasn't hurt me at all.

For people local to the URI area, or willing to mail order, I just
picked up the following (bear with me, I'm just a guy, not a music
critic):

By Corey Auger, Frolicware. Corey has that kind of "new folk" style,
kind of like Indigo Girls and so forth. Many of the songs say a lot
about how we treat homosexuals in our society and are quite touching.
I've seen him in concert a few times, and the shows are nice and fun and
informal, like a Dave Matthews concert. He can be reached at
address@hidden

The Jason Colonies Band's Album BitterSweet is kind of jazzy and upbeat,
and definitely a lot of fun. I picked up my copy at Campus Video in the
URI emporium, but you can also get them through
http://www.jasoncolonies.com/

These were independently done, and are available at a reasonable price
(like I said, I paid $10 each). After the last CD I bought costing
$15.99 and being a 10 year old album, it's a downright bargain,
especially since (I hope) these guys are seeing more than the 10 cents
or so most major label artists get...

--
MS Windows is only cheaper than Linux if you
steal it.