Where can we emigrate? (was Re: [DMCA-Activists] MP3 decoding royalties)

From: Jean-Michel Smith
Subject: Where can we emigrate? (was Re: [DMCA-Activists] MP3 decoding royalties)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:27:51 -0500

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 03:10 pm, Matthew Caron wrote:

> Okay, here's a question for the list, given that we're talking about
> countries.

I too have been giving considerable thought to where I might emigrate to.  I
share your shame at what our country has become, as well.

> 1.) English or French (which I'd have to relearn, but I speak enough to
> get by) speaking.

Languages aren't too hard.  If you already know French, I wouldn't rule out
Spanish, Portugeuse, or Italian speaking countries.

> 2.) Strong history of personal firearms ownership, as I am of the
> opinion that crime rises when people are unable to defend themselves.

This one is probably going to limit you to the United States, as AFAIK we are
the only ones in the world with that mentality, outside of areas like
Lebanon, Afghanistan, and perhaps parts of the Balkans (it should perhaps be
an object lesson to consider what all those places have in common).

Statistics show that firearm ownership does not lower crime throughout the
world.  Japan has some of the strictest firearm laws, and some of the lowest
crime there is.  Most of Western and Northern Europe is very strict with
respect to firearms, yet it has crime rates much lower than the US.

Perhaps Canada might fit your criteria, at least with respect to hunting
rifles and shotguns.  Handguns are another story IIRC.

As an aside, I once came down firmly on the European side of the firearm
debate ("private citizens have no business carrying around guns"), however,
after what happened in Yugoslavia I now tend to come down on the NRA side of
the argument (ie. your side), but not with respect to crime.  Crime appears
to be orthogonal to firearm ownership, at least if world wide statistics are
observed.  However, I still find firearm ownership by private citizens to be
an important check and balance in keeping the military from running amok
domestically (e.g. Serbs in Bosnia-Herzogovina, etc.).

However, we are in the minority in that view word-wide, and I for one will
compromise that 'right' away if it gets me to a better place.  Indeed, I did
so once before, living in Germany, and the experience was well worth it.  I
would do so again, in order to go back to Europe, perhaps to Canada, or Latin
America.  Different cultures do have different, equally valid views on that
subject.

You will probably have to write the firearm ownership issue off as a
difference in culture, and giving it up as a painful, but necessary,
adjustment to another culture's values if you're going to emigrate to their
country. :-)

Jean.