[DMCA-Activists] Re: USC to Students: No Sharing Files

From: Chris Ashley
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Re: USC to Students: No Sharing Files
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:06:25 -0400

MIT has taken a hands-off approach to its students'
activities over the years, allowing students to use as much
bandwidth as they want. The University of California at
Berkeley and Stanford University have placed limits on how
much bandwidth students can use.

My own institution in New Haven (<a href="http://www.yale.edu";>boola boola!</a>) has cut off Gnutella/Kazaa/etc. traffic to approximately 56k performance downstream. As a student computing assistant, I probably get that question more than any other. Interestingly, the bandwidth limits only apply once you get off the campus network itself. Any enterprising persons who wished to put together a Yale-only subset of Gnutella could still get good performance-- and, I'd wager, a diverse selection of browsable files.

Copyright violation is forbidden in the school's TOS, of course, but then posters are forbidden by the fire policy too. ;-)

--Chris