Re: [DMCA-Activists] Re: W Post: Europe's Microsoft Alternative

From: Matthew Caron
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] Re: W Post: Europe's Microsoft Alternative
Date: 04 Nov 2002 17:18:32 -0500

> I wrote to the author to explain that the system is GNU/Linux.

By the way - Calling it that does work - when I say "GNU/Linux" people
are like, what's that? So, I tell them about all the kernel, the apps,
etc., and then finally the conversation gets to "what do you call the OS
that comes from vendor XXX" and the answer I always give is:

The XXX distribution of the GNU/Linux operating system.

Also, I think it's good to get new hackers in. If you say "this is
Linux" they take it as a package deal. If you impress upon them that
this is how company XXX did their GNU/Linux distro, and company YYY did
this differently, they realize that the core stuff can remain the same
as other stuff changes; they realize that it is configurable and
customizable and happy.

As one of the URI FSS (University of Rhode Island Free Software Society)
members put it:

"Windows is too stupid for words, and I'm too stupid for [GNU/]Linux".

Of course, that's what the FSS is here for; to provide a support network
so he doesn't feel that way.

My .02....
--
U.S. Federal Taxes support terrible things,
if you pay taxes, you might too.