Re: [DMCA-Activists] New Scientist: P2P Rewiring May Fight Berman Bill

From: Ruben Safir
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] New Scientist: P2P Rewiring May Fight Berman Bill
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 07:28:41 -0500

This was all covered in the Conference room

Weiner tear through the tech peoples claims to
be able to selectivly flood the software.

Ruben

> A proposed US law permitting attacks on peer-to-peer file
> sharing networks to disrupt illegal copying could be
> undermined by research from two US computer students.
>
> Peer-to-peer networks let thousands of personal computers
> communicate with each other so that users can search each
> other's hard drives for files.
>
> Some sections of the US entertainment industry are so
> concerned about copyright infringement on peer-to-peer
> networks that they are pushing for new powers to put a stop
> to the activity themselves. The plans have outraged many
> peer-to-peer network users and civil liberty campaigners.
>
> A US bill proposed in July 2002 would give copyright holders
> the legal power to attack the computers of file sharers
> suspected of piracy. Experts say it would be relatively easy
> to log on to a network and deliberately overload suspected
> users with fake requests for a file, by misinforming other
> "nodes". This is similar to overloading a web site with fake
> traffic in a "denial of service" attack.
>
> But Neil Daswani and Hector Garcia-Molina of the Database
> Research Department at Stanford University in the US believe
> it may be possible to redesign peer-to-peer networks to
> protect them against such attacks. Daswani says this may
> also guard these networks against malicious computer
> hackers. He told New Scientist: "We were interested in both
> protecting the network from being shut down and protecting
> individual users."
>

> Flood gates
>
> Daswani and Garcia-Molina mathematically modeled the popular
> open source network Gnutella and experimented with different
> combinations of existing rules for efficiently sharing file
> requests across a network. This network consists of ordinary
> users, or "nodes" and "supernodes", which have higher
> bandwidth. Requests are broadcast between nodes and
> supernodes with little discrimination.
>
> Daswani points out that anyone can join a peer-to-peer
> network, so it cannot be run on trust. Instead, the
> researchers gave each node a set of simple rules to follow
> when processing requests from other peers. They found that
> when requests from ordinary nodes were treated in a
> different way to requests from supernodes the damage caused
> by a flooding attack was dramatically reduced.
>
> The optimum policy was to refuse second requests from a
> specific supernode until all other connected supernodes had
> also made a request - showing the request is more likely to
> be genuine. Favouring requests from local supernodes was
> also beneficial. A good overall arrangement was to have
> peers communicating normally within small groups and
> limiting communication between these groups.
>
> By applying these rules, Daswani says, "you don't end up
> using up all your bandwidth if there's a malicious node on
> the network."
>

> Peer review
>
> Theodore Hong, an expert in peer-to-peer networks at
> [...]

Brooklyn Linux Solutions
DRM is THEFT - We are the STAKEHOLDERS http://fairuse.nylxs.com

http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting
http://www.inns.net <-- Happy Clients