Re: [DMCA-Activists] Statement of New Yorkers For Fair Use

From: Serge Wroclawski
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] Statement of New Yorkers For Fair Use
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:45:35 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Seth Finkelstein wrote:

>       Apologies for the off-topic post, but can someone please fill
> me in, either privately or publicly, as to what *evidence* establishes
> the truth of which party? While the obvious reaction would be to
> denounce the dispute _per se_, I don't agree with such an attitude.
> That allows the wronging party to perpetuate injustice, based on
> others' apathy and indifference to the wronged party.

Okay, this is my understanding. The reason I'm writing this is I only
superficially know the parties involved.

There was once, a long long time ago, in a borough far away, a band of
bards who spoke spoke great wisdom and enlightened the people with thier
tales of a future of restricted speech and wallets open for large
corporations.

One of these bards grew confident with his speech and, seeing himself the
leader of the tribe, began to excercise his power and influence over those
who were in all other manner, independant and free as morning sparrows.

The other bards did not like this, and spoke both gently and clear to the
leader saying "Oh great weaver of words and leader of protests, cease this
eratic behavior." but alas, the seducing siren calls of power were too
strong, and the leader rejected his former colleagues, saying to them, "Oh
ye bards, hear me now, for I have endowed to you words that we may use
against our enemies. You are my tribe, and I am your leader. Follow me or
be trampled upon by my armies! By love or by fear, follow my path or your
names shall be cursed through the land!"

But the other bards were not swayed, their hearts were pure and thier
minds swift. They saw the empty threats for what they were and called
their former leader's bluff.

"Nah! We shall continue as we have done until our mission is complete. Be
with us or against us brother, but we must go forth and speak our tales to
the peoples of Nen Yort and the Wonks of Worshingtorn."

And on that day did the former leader did decalare his ownership over what
was once free speech, "The tales you speak are mine! Return them and your
banners at once so that I may use them again!" and in doing so did he
become not unlike the enemy.

The bard to this day retains some of the stories, and his voice is strong,
loud and clear. But all those who were there to hear the tales know the
truth, and are forewarned of what may become of them lest they follow
blindly in his path.

Of course, again, I'm only speculating. Much of what I know about what
happened is from peices of stories I've heard from one person or another.
I wasn't there and certainly don't know any of the details.

If any of this is wrong, I do appologize and hope that the wronged parties
understand and forgive me. If they want to- they can feel free to mail me
a better explanation of what happened.

- Serge Wroclawski