[DMCA-Activists] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, HP, Intel

From: Jay Sulzberger
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, HP, Intel Oppose Lofgren Bill
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 05:51:35 -0500 (EST)

The "balance" bill is wrong on principle.  Adoption of any bill which
implicitly or explicitly assumes that our most basic property rights are
held at the mere sufferance of the Englobulators makes it tactically
impossible to mount any serious defense of these rights.  If, in principle,
I have no right to make copies of works copyrighted by others in my house,
no right to disassemble code which runs my computer just because the
copyright holder says I should not, no right to boot an operating system of
my own choice, well, the main battle is over, and we can, at best, hope
that the terms of our surrender are not too harsh.  Not too harsh this
year, that is, since once we surrender and the Englobulators take from us
our computers, they are not likely to listen to our pleadings in future
years.  Why should they?

The issue is not "producers vs consumers" nor "copyright holders vs
consumers".  The issue is that the Englobulators are in progress of denying
us our property rights and our rights of free speech and free assembly.

We don't have to give up anything.  We own our computers and we vote.

oo--JS.