Re: [DMCA-Activists] Mass. hearing on super-DMCA

From: Dan Barrett
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] Mass. hearing on super-DMCA
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 13:49:40 -0500

On Tuesday 01 April 2003 13:18, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> I'm interested in going.  Have you found more information on the bill than
> what's presented at the link?

I grabbed the RTF from Ed Felton's site
(http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/superdmca.html) and converted it to plain
ol' text:
http://www.offthehill.org/~dan/mass_dmca.txt

> "legislation to establish a crime of
> illegal internet and broadband access" makes it sound like this is about
> cable theft, nothing more...

The alarming sections (bear NAT, firewalls, VPNs, and GPG in mind) :

6) "Unlawful access device." Any type of instrument, device, machine,
equipment, technology
or software which is primarily designed, developed, assembled, manufactured,
sold,
distributed, possessed, used or offered, promoted or advertised, for the
purpose of defeating or
circumventing any technology, device or software, or any component or part
thereof, used by
the provider, owner or licensee of any communication service or of any data,
audio or video
programs or transmissions, to protect any such communication, data, audio or
video services,
programs or transmissions from unauthorized receipt, acquisition,
interception, access,
decryption, disclosure, communication, transmission or re-transmission.

(b) Offense defined.--Any person commits an offense if he knowingly:

(1) possesses, uses, manufactures, develops, assembles, distributes,
transfers, imports into this
state, licenses, leases, sells or offers, promotes or advertises for sale, use
or distribution any
communication device:

(i) for the commission of a theft of a communication service or to receive,
intercept, disrupt,
transmit, re-transmits, decrypt, acquire or facilitate the receipt,
interception, disruption,
transmission, re-transmission, decryption or acquisition of any communication
service without
the express consent or express authorization of the communication service
provider; or

(ii) to conceal or to assist another to conceal from any communication service
provider, or
from any lawful authority, the existence or place of origin or destination of
any
communication; or

(2) modifies, alters, programs or reprograms a communication device for the
purposes
described in subparagraphs (b)(1)(i) and (ii) above; or

(3)  possesses, uses, manufactures, develops, assembles, distributes, imports
into this state,
licenses, transfers, leases, sells, offers, promotes or advertises for sale,
use or distribution any
unlawful access device; or

(4) possesses, uses, prepares, distributes, sells, gives, transfers or offers,
promotes or advertises
for sale, use or distribution any:

(i)  plans or instructions for making, or assembling or developing any
communication or
unlawful access device, under circumstances evidencing an intent to use or
employ such
communication or unlawful access device, or to allow the same to be used or
employed, for a
purpose prohibited by this section, or knowing or having reason to believe
that the same is
intended to be so used, or that the aforesaid plans or instructions are
intended to be used for
manufacturing or assembling such communication or unlawful access device for a
purpose
prohibited by this section; or

(ii) material, including hardware, cables, tools, data, computer software or
other information or
equipment, knowing that the purchaser or a third person intends to use the
material in the
manufacture, assembly or development of a communication device for a purpose
prohibited by
this section, or for use in the manufacture, assembly or development of an
unlawful access
device; and

(5)  Assist others in committing any of the acts prohibited by this section.