[DMCA-Activists] Torvalds on SCO and Stuff

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Torvalds on SCO and Stuff
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 14:31:23 -0400

(Forwarded from Pho list)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: pho: SJMN: Torvalds Q&A - SCO, Linux et al
   Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:12:34 -0400
   From: Kevin Doran <address@hidden>
     To: address@hidden

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/local/6237239.htm

Posted on Fri, Jul. 04, 2003
Linux creator is an open source

Linus Torvalds is the creator of the Linux operating system, the open source
version of Unix that is sweeping  through the software world in a direct
challenge to Microsoft.

He spoke candidly with Mercury News Staff Writer Dean Takahashi about the
SCO Group vs. IBM lawsuit  (where Big Blue is accused of illegally putting
Unix code into Linux), on Microsoft and open source  development.

He also shed light on his decision to leave chip maker Transmeta for a Linux
corporate software consortium,  the Open Source Development Lab. Here is an
edited transcript:

Q: The SCO Group has sued IBM for illegally contributing Unix code to Linux.
Do you believe this episode  reveals any vulnerabilities in the open source
movement?

A: Not really. Open source software is very visible. That means it's very
easy to see if there is something  wrong. I think that is a good thing. I
think the whole point is that, with the kind of transparency you get with
open source, people are a lot less likely to ever have intellectual property
issues. I compare it to stealing a car.  Do you steal a car in the bright
daylight with a lot of people around? Or do you steal a car, go for a
joyride at 4  am in the morning when there aren't a lot of people around.
With open source, there is a lot of daylight. A lot  of people looking at
the code. You don't really go around and steal things.

Q: There was some mention of the origins of Linux being murky.

A: There has been a lot of rumor. It's more of an allegation. It's complete
crap. Quite the reverse. If you look  at murky, it's SCO's allegations that
are murky. With Linux code, you can see how it's been developed. You  can
see who applied patches. You can see when they got applied. It's all in the
open.

Q: They were referring to the original creation of Linux.

A: No, it's not an issue. Some of the history might be slightly hard to
find, but compared to other projects, it's  a lot better documented than any
proprietary operating system ever. Most of the stuff that has been on
public  mailing lists is archived.

Q: How about the history of Unix itself. Is it hard to follow?

A: There was a lawsuit between AT&T and Berkeley. AT&T sued UC Berkeley for
copyright infringement  because the Berkeley version of Unix was made
available openly with the Berkeley license. It took a few years  but it was
shown that it wasn't Berkeley that stole code from AT&T but it was AT&T that
stole code from  Berkeley, removed Berkeley copyrights, and they ended up
settling out of court. So there is no judge that has  said so officially but
it was believed that Berkeley had done nothing wrong. This is the same code
at issue. In  that case, there was a clear genetic continuation. Now SCO is
trying to use the same code that already failed a  test once and to apply it
to something where there isn't the same genetic continuation.

Q: For our readers who don't know the origins of Linux, can you talk about
how it was written given the  existence of Unix?

A: The origin was all written by me. For the first six months or so I was
the only person working on Linux. It  took almost a year before there was a
major contribution from people outside. It's all original code since day
one.

Q: The SCO Group has said that you haven't had the highest respect for
intellectual property rights. How do  you react to that?

A: That's very normal that you always try to twist the truth in lawsuits.
The only part that has been irritating  is they make it personal. They are
showing my e-mails to the Linux community to the press. They called my
approach cavalier because I made a joke in an e-mail. OK. Tough. If they
can't take a joke, that's their  problem. I think it backfired. Most
journalists do have a sense of humor. They didn't mind.

Does it surprise you that Linux is a pawn in a battle between big companies,
like IBM and Microsoft?

No. I'm not surprised about lawsuits per se. When there is enough money
involved, lawsuits are inevitable. I  don't think that's anything strange.
To a large degree, and a reason I made it open source in the first place,
was I was interested in the technical side, and not the legal and commercial
side. It's not a pawn that  somebody takes over. That's one of the points. I
find it interesting that people have used it in different ways  that I
didn't envision and also that they're raising issues that I don't care
about.

Q: What do you care about?

A: I still care about the technology and the community. The people putting
it together. And I do care about if  someone has actually copied stuff into
Linux that they don't have rights to, I'd be upset about that. I care  about
software rights. Right now I'm taking a leave. From what it looks like, as
long as it is contract rights  between SCO and IBM, I don't care at all. IBM
can defend themselves. And if IBM ends up having to say OK  we did something
bad, it's not my problem.

Q: Microsoft took out a license from SCO. Do you think that was necessary
and that the timing seemed  strange?