[DMCA-Activists] obstacles to doing academic DRM research

From: Burkart, Patrick C
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] obstacles to doing academic DRM research
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:28:06 -0000

Hello friends - I am a newbie to this list, but an old-timer to the DMCA
topic and its many relatives.

I am collecting information about researchers who have encountered obstacles
(legal, bureaucratic, other) on the way to doing research on digital rights
management (software or hardware based).

If you know of a case where a researcher has been denied the opportunity to
research and/or write on DRM, on the basis of DMCA or otherwise, I would be
happy to know about it.  I am collecting examples of abuses of academic
freedom endured under the DMCA regime.  I intend to write an article on the
topic.  Unfortunately, I myself am facing some questionable obstacles to
researching DRM that have been justified with reference to the DMCA.  I am
expecting to hear from many others who are experiencing the same problems.

Thanks for your consideration.

Sincerely

Patrick Burkart
Dept. of Communication