Re: [DMCA-Activists] Fwd: Direct Free Publishing

From: Seth Finkelstein
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] Fwd: Direct Free Publishing
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 19:00:35 -0500

> With all this vetting and the reliance on "general acceptance in the
> mathematics community", what purpose could the publication in a refereed
> journal possibly have? It would seem that the Clay Institute needs to get
> with the times. Open Access is the way real science works.

        Functionally, "publication" here just means, in geek-talk,
that a certain number of credentialled prof-bloggers are willing to
put their reputation-capital behind it.

        I'm sure that if the proof turns out to be true, making a
printout on the necessary servers will be a trivial issue.

[That is, at some point, a refereed mathematics journal of world wide
repute will reprint the on-line material, for archival purposes if
nothing else.]

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  address@hidden  http://sethf.com
Interview: http://grep.law.harvard.edu/article.pl?sid=03/12/16/0526234