[DMCA-Activists] Cyberspace as Place, and the Tragedy of the Digital Ant

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Cyberspace as Place, and the Tragedy of the Digital Anticommons
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:43:20 -0500

(Forwarded from MediaMentor list.)

-----Original Message-----
From: George [s] Lessard <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 17:58:07 -0600
Subject: [MediaMentor] Cyberspace as Place, and the Tragedy of the
Digital Anticommons

Cyberspace as Place, and the Tragedy of the Digital Anticommons

University of Pennsylvania - The Wharton School
California Law Review, Forthcoming

Abstract:

Cyberspace was once thought to be the modern equivalent of the Western
Frontier, a place, where land was free for the taking, where explorers
could roam, and communities could form with their own rules. It was an
endless expanse of space: open, free, replete with possibility. This
is true no longer. This Article argues that we are enclosing
cyberspace, and imposing private property conceptions upon it. As a
result, we are creating a digital anti-commons where sub-optimal uses
of Internet resources is going to be the norm.

Part I shows why initial discussions of cyberspace as place have
mistaken the idea of how we think about cyberspace, with the normative
question of how we should regulate cyberspace. It suggests that we can
bracket the normative question, and still answer the descriptive
question of whether we think of cyberspace as a place.

Part II then examines the lessons of recent cognitive science, and
demonstrates the importance of physical metaphors within our cognitive
system. It then examines the evidence of our use of a physical
metaphor, "cyberspace as place", in understanding online communication
environments.

Part III focuses on the unacknowledged, and unrecognized, influence
that this metaphor has had on the development of the legal framework
for the Internet. It examines tortious, criminal, and constitutional
law responses to cyberspace, and concludes that the metaphor
of  "cyberspace as place" exercises a strong, and unrecognized,
influence on the regulatory regimes of cyberspace.

Part IV details the implications of this observation and shows why
they are extremely troubling. The conception of "cyberspace as place"
leads to the implication that there is property online, and that this
property should be privately owned, parceled out, and exploited.
Though private ownership of resources of itself is not problematic, it
can lead to the opposite of the tragedy of the commons: the tragedy of
the anti-commons. Anti-commons property occurs when multiple parties
have an effective right to preclude others from using a given
resource, and as a result no-one has an effective right of use. Part
IV argues that this is precisely where the "cyberspace as place"
metaphor leads. We are moving to a digital anti-commons, where no-one
will be allowed to access competitors' cyberspace "assets" without
some licensing, or other transactionally-expensive (or impossible),
permission mechanism.  The Article shows how the "cyberspace as place"
metaphor leads to undesirable private control of the previously
commons-like Internet, and the emergence of the digital anti-commons.
As we all come to stake out our little claim in cyberspace, then the
commons which is cyberspace is being destroyed.

  JEL Classifications: E2
  Accepted Paper Series
Abstract has been viewed 2835 times

Contact Information for DAN HUNTER (Contact Author)

address@hidden

(Email address for DAN HUNTER )

University of Pennsylvania - The Wharton School
3641 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA  19104-6365
United States
(215) 573-7154 (Phone)
(215) 573-2006 (Fax)

Suggested Citation

Hunter, Dan, "Cyberspace as Place, and the Tragedy of the Digital
Anticommons". California Law Review, Forthcoming
http://ssrn.com/abstract=306662
Download @
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/delivery.cfm/SSRN_ID306662_code020422670.pd
f?abstractid=306662

Public, keyword searchable archives @
http://www.eGroups.com/list/mediamentor
FEEDBACK:
address@hidden
POST: If subscribed, post to the list @ address@hidden
No attachments...... less viruses.... text only please....
No HTML and no RTF from your subscription's e-mail "address"
only..
UNSUBSCRIBE:
address@hidden
Change your subscription to daily digest mode
by sending a blank message to
address@hidden
Change your subscription to individual emails:
by sending a blank message to
address@hidden
Put your email message delivery on hold for your vacation:
by sending a blank message to
address@hidden
(c)info
http://members.tripod.com/~media002/disclaimer.htm
Due to the nature of email & the WWW,
check ALL sources.
Members who post to this list retain their copyright but grant a
non-exclusive license to others to forward any message posted here.
They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or
approve the archiving of list messages.
Other use of e-mail to this list requires the permission of individual
writers..