[DMCA-Activists] Re: Fwd: POPA Press Release on USPTO Fee Modernization

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Re: Fwd: POPA Press Release on USPTO Fee Modernization Act (H.R. 1561)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:59:02 -0500

The concern that arises in my mind is the way this leads to the ability for
the USPTO to behave the way the patent establishment has been behaving in
Europe, making the vapid argument, persuasive in some quarters (the ones
that tend to count most on an everyday basis), that reducing patentability
will reduce their funding and have the consequences of causing them
additional hardship in a time when every patent application is so
*confusing* -- while also forcing them to raise their fees for other patent
applications.

It's handing authority over the fee structure to the agency, which, like a
lot of agencies in America already, already contains within itself all three
governmental powers: regulatory, executive/enforcement, and judicial.

Seth

--

DRM is Theft!  We are the Stakeholders!

New Yorkers for Fair Use
http://www.nyfairuse.org

I reserve no rights restricting copying, modification or distribution of
this incidentally recorded communication.  Original authorship should be
attributed reasonably, but only so far as such an expectation might hold for
usual practice in ordinary social discourse to which one holds no claim of
exclusive rights.