[DMCA-Activists] Nintendo Patents Emulators

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Nintendo Patents Emulators
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:49:51 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: David Touve <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:00:42 -0500
Subject: pho: Patents finds a way around emulator gap

It appears that Nintendo has found a way to shift the debate over the
emulation of game software (whether expired or still in the market) to
yet another filed - patents.

The company has not only filed, but also been granted, a patent
covering the emulation of "low power" handheld game platforms.

Interesting to note: I don't think Nintendo has ever produced its own
emulator.  Though the company makes an original product (GameBoy), it
has converted this to a patent on emulation.  Wasn't there a time when
new inventions had to appear on the desk of the patent officer?  Yet
now we can patent those thoughts yet to be converted to a product.

david touve