[DMCA-Activists] Fwd: Supercomputers for the People

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Fwd: Supercomputers for the People
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 16:19:21 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Community_studios] Supercomputers for the People
Date: 03 Apr 2004 19:46:19 -0800
From: tom poe <address@hidden>
To: Open Studios <address@hidden>
CC: Community Studios <address@hidden>

Soon, you will be able to burn CDs that contain all the software,the OS,
everything needed to solve a particular scenario that concerns your
local community, especially in the sciences.  That will also include
economic impact studies affecting local and regional economies.  This is
huge!  And, we thought Open Studios had vision!  :)
Tom

http://www.flashmobcomputing.org/

"Today, supercomputing is controlled largely by governmental
organizations, academic research institutions, animation studios, and
recently biotech companies. This means that the problems that get solved
by supercomputers are narrow in scope and tightly controlled. We want to
change that."

"We think that a group of folks should be able to get together and study
whatever they want, and they should be able to use a supercomputer to
help them. So if a high school science class wanted to study the ozone
hole using a supercomputer model, they could create a FlashMob
supercomputer in a few hours and start running their model today. If a
group of neighbors were worried about how a local gas station's
underground gas tank might leak into the drinking water if the tank ever
cracked, they could use Flash Mob Computing to model the scenario. In
short, we hope Flash Mob Computing will democratize supercomputing. That
is to say, it will make supercomputing accessible to everyone. To us,
that's a very exciting idea."